Ms. Fairoza Fairooz
Ms. Fairoza Fairooz is a lecturer attached to the Department of English and Modern Languages of NSBM. She graduated from University of Peradeniya in 2020 with a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in English. She is currently reading for her Masters. She has also completed a certificate level course in International Relations at University of Colombo. Before joining NSBM, she worked as a Temporary Instructor at the Department of English Language Teaching, University of Peradeniya for a period of two years. As an undergraduate, she volunteered in a Youth Development Project for three weeks in Romania. Her research interests are Applied Linguistics, Teaching English as a Second Language, Bilingualism and Identity Formation in the ESL classroom. Moreover, she is the Mistress in Charge of the English Literary Association, The Litertaure Circle, and Co-Mistress in Charge of the International Center for Cultural Exchange at NSBM.
- Applied Linguistics
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- Identity Formation in the ESL Classroom
Conference (Full Paper) Publications
- Udara, N. Fairooz, F. and Jayasundara, A. Online Education for Sustainable Development: An Analysis of Test Scores of Tertiary Sri Lankan ESL Learners in Onsite Summative and Online Summative Examinations. In Proceedings of the International Conference of Business Innovations 2022, PP 214-220
- The Role and Function of Naming in Erasing and/or Displacing ‘Hybrid’ Identities in a Selected Muslim Community in Matale. Proceedings of Undergraduate Research Congress Faculty of Arts – 2019, Peradeniya: University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 2019
- Kulathunga, C., Hapuarachchi, S., Fairooz, F. From Free Education to Utilitarianism: Mapping the Pedagogical Struggles of the Unheard in the Era of COVID-19. Rajarata University International Symposium on English Language Teaching (RUISELT): Virtual Platform, 2021 http://repository.rjt.ac.lk/bitstream/handle/123456789/5112/50.pdf?sequence=1
- Kulathunga C., Fairooz F., Senanayake T. Threatened Academic Integrity: Understanding the Increasing Tendency of Plagiarism among Undergraduates during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Rajarata University International Symposium on English Language Teaching (RUISELT): Virtual Platform, 2021 http://repository.rjt.ac.lk/bitstream/handle/123456789/5075/14.pdf?sequence=1
- Hapuarachchi S., Kulathunga C., Fairooz F. Space Unseen: A Discussion of the Dismantled Classroom and its Effects on the Pedagogical Space as a result of COVID-19. In the Proceedings of Peradeniya University International Research Sessions (iPURSE), 2021.
- Fairooz, F. and Jayasundara, A. Udara, N. Using Artificial Intelligence Tools in Language Learning in Tertiary Education in Sri Lanka: A Challenge to Academic Integrity?
- Hapuarachchi, S., Fairooz, F. Is Education a Right or a Privilege?: A Critical Perspective of the Sri Lankan Tertiary Education System during the Current Economic Crisis