Faculty of Engineering
Dr. Nuwanthi Katuwavila is a B.Sc. Chemistry (special) graduate from the Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya and she obtained her PhD in the field of nanobiotechnology from University of Peradeniya with the collaboration of Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology, Homagama. Her research focus is mainly in the fields of nanomedicine and pharmaceutical chemistry. She has won the presidential award for her research publications and the SUSRED award for her PhD study.
She has served as a lecturer at the Faculty of Applied Sciences, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka and as an academic consultant at the Faculty of Computing and Technology, University of Kelaniya during her 5 years’ experience in academia. In addition, she was a post-doctoral researcher at the Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology for two and a half years.
Selected Research and Publications:
International Journal Publications
- Nwokwu, Chukwumaobim Daniel Uzochukwuwulu, Samarakoon, Sameera Ranganath, Karunaratne, Desiree Nedra, Katuvawila, Nuwanthi P., Ediriweera, Meran Keshawa, Tennekoon, Kamani H. “Chitosan Nano-Encapsulation Enhances Gedunin Cytotoxicity against Human Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NCI-H292) Cell Line, Drug Delivery Letters, 7(3), 2017, 219-226
- Chukwumaobim Daniel Uzochukwuwulu Nwokwu, Sameera Ranganath Samarakoon, Desiree Nedra Karunaratne, Nuwanthi P Katuvawila, Geethi Kaushalya Pamunuwa, Meran Keshawa Ediriweera and Kamani Hemamala Tennekoon. “Induction of apoptosis in response to improved gedunin by liposomal nano-encapsulation in human non-small-cell lung cancer (NCI-H292) cell line”, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research September 2017; 16 (9): 2079-2087
- Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. C. Perera, Damayanthi Dahanayake, V. Karunaratne and D. Nedra Karunaratne. “Alginate nanoparticles protect ferrous from oxidation: potential iron delivery system” International Journal of Pharmaceutics., vol. 513, 404-409, 2016.
- Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. Chandani Perera, Sameera R. Samarakoon, Preethi Soysa, V. Karunaratne, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga, and D. Nedra Karunaratne, “Chitosanalginate nanoparticle system efficiently delivers doxorubicin to MCF-7 cells”, Journal of Nanomaterials, vol 2016, 12 pages doi:10.1155/2016/3178904
- Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. Chandani Perera, V. Karunaratne, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga, and D. Nedra Karunaratne, “Improved Delivery of Caffeic Acid through Liposomal Encapsulation,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2016, Article ID 9701870, 7 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/9701870
- Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, A.D.L.C.Perera, V.Karunaratne, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga and D. Nedra Karunaratne. Caffeic acid loaded liposomes as a cosmeceutical. Asian symposium on medicinal plants, spices and other natural products XVI, 12-14 December 2018, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Nuwanthi P. Katuwavila, Yasuri Amarasekara, Vimukthi Jayaweera, Inoka C. Perera, Laksiri Weerasinghe. Functionalized Graphene Oxide for significantly enhanced antibacterial activity of cephalexin. 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery, 21-23 May 2018, Tokyo, Japan.
- M. P. C. D. Rajapaksha, A. I. Abeykoon, V. Raguparan, L. H. P. M. Madushani, N. P. Katuwavila, V. Jayaweera, C. Gunasekara, L. Weerasinghe, I. C. Perera. Synthesis of novel graphene oxide-iron nano composite and comparison of its antimicrobial activity against selected medically important bacteria, The 3rd ASEAN Association of School of Medical Technology (AASMT) Conference, 3-5 th November, 2016, Bangkok, Thailand,
- K. A. N. P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. C. Perera, S. R. Samarakoon, V. Karunaratne, G. A. J. Amaratunga and D. N. Karunaratne. Controlled release of doxorubicin from chitosan and chitosan-alginate nanoparticles and in vitro cytotoxicity studies on MCF-7 cell line, Proc. of the 1st International Conference on Bioscience and Biotechnology-2016, 12th -13th January, 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka,
- K. A. N. P. Katuwavila, A. D. L. C. Perera, V. Karunaratne and D. N. Karunaratne. Determination of in vitro release kinetics of doxorubicin from chitosan and chitosan-alginate nanoparticles. Proc. of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions (iPURSE), Vol. 18, 2014, Sri Lanka
- K. A.N.P. Katuwavila, A D L C Perera, V. Karunaratne and D. N. Karunaratne. Characterization of Doxorubicin loaded alginate-chitosan nanoparticles, International Conference on Chemical Education Proceedings, 3rd -4th April 2014, Sri Lanka.